Check List for Showings
Prepare well for showings! Homes tend to sell more quickly and for higher prices when
they show their best! Here are some helpful hints for showing your home.
- Pick up unnecessary items from counters, floors and stairs.
- Turn on all lights, even those in closets and storage rooms (make your home as bright as
- Open all drapes, shades, and blinds.
- Be sure all beds are made neatly and attractively.
- Be sure all dirty dishes are in the dishwasher or washed and put away.
- Be sure all kitchen appliances and countertops are "sparkling clean"
- Keep pets out of sight (pet lovers will be distracted, others might be turned
- Keep children out of rooms being shown and dont let them follow prospects around.
- Eliminate distracting sounds and turn on soft, pleasant background music.
- Be especially careful to keep kitchen odors fresh and inviting (coffee brewing or a
cinnamon coffecake baking in the oven have a lasting effect). Light fires in the fireplace
(if winter) for a toasty effect.
- Place some fresh and attractive towels in the kitchen and baths.
- Keep front door scrubbed clean and inviting (its the first and last impression...
make it a good one!).
- Keep a well manicured lawn and neatly trimmed shrubs.
- If possible leave the home when the Realtor arrives, go for a walk or enjoy the sunshine
on the front deck.
- Do not act as a tour guide, most Realtors have there own procedure for showing homes.
- If you cant leave the home, try to continue what your doing. Do not race from room
to room trying to avoid the Realtor. It distracts from the showing.
- If your house needs any basic maintenance, Get it done.
- Flowers in the garden or on the table make a world of difference.
- If you have a pet let your Realtor know, especially if it has special needs.
- Have your feature sheets displayed where they are easy to find.
Realtors are required to leave a card so you know who has been there. Put the Realtors
card in your files. A collection of cards on the counter gives the impression that the
house has been on the market a long time. Have a mental check list of things to do each
time you leave your home:
- Beds made,
- dishes done,
- toys put away,
- laundry out of sight,
- feature sheets out.
Re/Max Kelowna 100-1553 Harvey Ave
Kelowna BC V1Y6G3